Friday, February 22, 2013

The Last Doctors Visit.......I Hope

I had one more Doctors visit before I could say, I was certifiably Healed and that was with the Orthopedic Doctor, the surgeon who took my leg off. I was tired of Doctors and Doctors visits. My leg had healed up and very good I was thinking. It had taken about three months from amputation to completely heal and now there seemed to be no problems, no pain, just some phantom pain which was mostly at night and I thought I was dealing with that OK, for now.
All I really needed from this Doctor today was a prescription for a Leg. Wonder what he would say if I told him he owed me a leg since he took one away from me and that he should have to buy me another one. I am going to tell him though that I don't ever wont to see him again.....So Long and Goodbye..... 

Well I got my Prescription and a order to start therapy. I live in a small town but we do have a Prosthetic Center here and I already had some dealings with them earlier when the Doctors attempted to fuse the knee joint together which left one leg two and an half inches shorter than the other. They had built me a pair of shoes and I thought they had done a good job with them, so I made my appointment with them. It was going to take a couple of weeks before I could get in so I started looking for a place to do my therapy with.  I wanted someone who had worked with amputees and not having much luck the Prosthetic Center recommended a place. So that's where I went, and I want to say I have nothing but good to say about my time there. Which I will talk about in great detail later.

Finally the day came for my appointment to get measured up and fitted for my prosthetic. I didn't know what to expect, no one had told me much, all I really knew was that I was ready to go on down the road. My first visit was about three hours long and it seemed like forever. They took a lot of measurements and showed me a short film about the pin system and how the leg would go on. ' I was excited '  I asked how long it would take to make. Well come to find out that it's a process. I was going to have to go back in a week for a fitting and then back again in two weeks for my leg. Even afterwards, I would still have to go back for adjustments. Anyway, before I left that first visit, I asked, "What about some kind of therapy". I said that I had been in this wheelchair a long time, over three years now and I was a little concerned. I didn't know of what, but I was. He didn' seem to be worried through. He told me no hurry. So somehow I got the impression that therapy wasn't going to be much.   " What a surprise "    Anyway, I went home to wait..........For My New Leg........... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Comment