Monday, May 6, 2013

Surprise........Humiliating and Humbling

I'm at home waiting on a call to come and pickup my leg. It's been almost two weeks now. I'm very much excited about walking again. One of the things I've missed most about not walking is not being able to work out in the yard and cutting my own grass. No one can cut your grass the way you can yourself. I'm ready to get started........

My New Leg

While I've been waiting I've been doing a lot of thinking about therapy. It's been about six months now since amputation with no therapy, none at all. Now that all the pain is gone and off all the pain killers for the past six months my head is clear and I'm able to think about something other than the pain and I'm realizing I should have had some therapy.  No one, not one Doctor during this whole time mentioned anything about it.  The only one who had said anything about it was the Prosthetist and I felt that he didn't seem to be in  a hurry, so I wasn't. ....Remember I've been in this wheelchair over three years.... I knew it was a long time but I still didn't think I would have much of a hard time walking again once I had my leg. I thought other people might have trouble but, not me.

As I was putting it back on for about the fifth time getting ready to go home they asked me if I was going to wear it home, I said yes. With all seriousness I asked if they thought I could walk out of there. They looked at me laughed and said, "NO". I was shocked because even though I knew better, at that moment when I asked that I was really thinking I could.

Before I left that day we talked about a lot things. They showed me how to walk and I practiced some on the parallel bars. We also talked about my insurance, what the leg cost,how much it was going to pay and how much I would have to pay. All I can say is that it Blowed me away. Anyway next time I want to talk about the Insurance and what happened..........
.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Comment