Saturday, January 19, 2013

A New Day......In The Beginning

This is definitely the start of a new beginning for me......I spent most of the day today waiting to see the Infectious Disease Doctor for the last time. That's what I was hoping for anyway. That would be two Doctors now that I've finally been able to kick to the curb. Well anyway, one Doctor and a Home Nurse. I think I'm doing good, right.....It's been a long time in coming. My "stump", I  hate that word and "residual limb" that don't sound any better either. It seems like a better word  could be used to describe a part of me that I had carried around and used for a lot of years, had finally healed. The awful pain I had lived with for so long was gone and I was still off all pain medication and having no problems with that. I felt I was on a roll....

 It had been a little over three months now since I had went in the hospital with two legs and came out with one. And today, this Infectious Disease Doctor was going to give me a clean bill of health and tell me that the Mersa Infection was not there anymore. It was going to be a good day, I was sure of it and I was happy. I had come a long way and I knew it. I was kind of proud of myself for just being able to get this for. It had been rough, real rough and I knew I still had a long way to go. I wasn't kidding myself by thinking that the rest of my recovery was going to be any easier. It had been a little over three years that I've been living this horror story.

I wasn't expecting what happened next......She did tell me that the tests showed that the Mersa was gone. But it was what she said next that just about floored me. I sat there listening while she told me as delicately as she could that,  " I more  than likely wouldn't walk again".  I just couldn't believe I was hearing her say this. I didn't want to hear anything like that and I told her so. I said I was So looking forward to walking again, that I was starting to see daylight again and than you tell me something like that. I asked her why she thought that. She said she thought I had been in a wheelchair too long and I was going to find out that staying in it was going to be for more easier than learning to walk again with a prosthetic, you have a fussed ankle and you have had a hip replaced on the other leg. Your age, it's not going to be on your side either. All I could say was," you're wrong". I didn't know what else to say.

On the way to the car and all the way home my wife and I we didn't say much to each other. We never mentioned anything about what had just happened. I think she was just as supervised as I was at what had just happened. She was waiting on me to say something, I knew she was. But I didn't want to talk about it so I was glad she was being quite. But I was thinking how wrong that Doctor was. She had to be. I wanted out of this chair really bad. I knew what was next. In about a week from now I was to see the Orthopedic Doctor,  he was the one I had to get the ok from to get me a  "Leg". That's all I wanted to think about, nothing else.


   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Comment