Sunday, February 26, 2012

And The Party Rocks On

   I made it through the six weeks with the spacer in my knee, but I wasn't doing so good. The constant pain was really starting to get to me. I was still taking a lot of pain medication, it was either not working as well as it did in the beginning or the pain was getting worse. I think it was some of both.   During this time the Dr's. changed the IV Antibiotics two or three times, it wasn't working either. They said it was even getting worse, and the infection was now in the bone.
    I was pretty sick, I had lost a lot of weight. I'm talking 60,70 lbs. We couldn't get rid of the infection and the Dr. said it was time to take out the spacer. Supposedly we could only leave it in for so long.
    So back to the hospital and surgery I go. My Dr. told me that my options were getting slim on what we could do to end this nightmare...
     My wife and I had already talked about me losing the leg. I wasn't very happy about the idea, but we both felt that it was going to have to go. Also the Infectious Diseases Doctor was saying now it wasn't going to get any better. We had been fighting this now right at two years. Do I need to say, " It was hurting me bad."
      I hadn't heard anything about amputation from my Orthopedic Doctor yet, and I wasn't quite ready for a PegLeg yet.... SO .... We all decided, back to surgery again. This time we took all the hardware out and fussed the joint and what that meant was that the knee would not bend and the leg would also be about a inch to 2inchs shorter than the other leg....My wife and I wondered, Was This a Good Idea. There was no guarantee that the bones would even fuse together....
       I was in the hospital this time about a week. Left with a lot of pain medication again and wondering when I would be back again.
     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Comment