Sunday, September 30, 2012

Going Home.......Minus One

      I've lost count how many times I've come home from the hospital. In the two and a half years I've had this infection in my leg it's been at least six or eight times, maybe more. Each time I hoped it would be the last time. .....This time though it was looking pretty good.....
This time I came home minus one leg.  They told me they got all the infected area when they took the leg off. It's been about a year and a half now. .....Got my fingers crossed.....
      I came home in pretty good spirits, mostly because ninety five percent of the pain was gone. Also because I had another bag full of pain medication. The only time I needed any was at night time. In the beginning the phantom pain was really bad at night and if I wanted any sleep at all I had to take it. .....In my next post I'm going to tell if I had become addicted or not to the pain medication....The pain was all but gone during the day, sometimes I would have this real sharp stabbing pain in the heel of the foot that wasn't there. But I was happy with the pain situation, except at nighttime. But for some  reason I knew even that would get better.
        I was glad to be home. I still had a nurse that came once a week to check everything and she also said my stump was looking good. I had a Dr. appointment in ten days after coming home to take the stitches out, so back to the Dr I go.
        I'm home again without stitches in my stump. But there was one place that wasn't healing very good. There was about a one inch open place and no matter what was done it wouldn't close up. I was becoming depressed again and I couldn't help it. I was still seeing the Infectious Disease Doctor, she said she wasn't worried, that it would close up in a couple of weeks. She said that I had a small infection, that it wasn't anything to worry about and that the Mersa wasn't there anymore. The surgeon he wasn't saying anything, nothing at all. I was becoming depressed again and I couldn't seem to help it. I wasn't telling anybody but I was scared. I was scared because I didn't know how much more I could take. I needed for this to be over. It had been a long time since I had even as much as enjoyed getting up in the morning. This had been going on now for over three years and three years was a very very long time......
        Somehow I got up every day and I look back now, I wonder how I did. I did have a good support team at home and I know that helped a lot. Also I still had those two dogs that absolutely adored me. My Grandson who lives with us, he was in school every day and my wife she worked every day. So it was me and the dogs every day and they were sticking right beside me. I had to get up and make it through the day for them. They expected it. Whatever works right......
                         ........Well it took three months for my stump to completely heal up........
          I remember when I told the home nurse she didn't have to come anymore. That was a big day for me. I kinda hated to see her to go because, I had gotten used to her coming around. She had been coming once a week since 2008. I was also glad to see her go because it meant, I was better.
                                                ........I Was Home<> Minus One........

              

                

            

        
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave Comment